2020 Middle School Co-Curricular Information
Many have been wondering about the status of middle school co-curricular activities. Like many other things during these times, plans have to be adjusted and difficult decisions had to be made to assure, as well as possible, the health and safety of our students and staff. As a result, ISD 196 middle schools will be offering an “in-house” style winter 1 season for the following sports: girls basketball for 7th & 8th grade, and wrestling for 6th, 7th & 8th grade.
The following is the most current information regarding District 196 middle school co-curricular activities.
Winter 1 Athletics
- Dates: Nov. 9 - Dec. 11
- Time: 3:35-4:45
- 7th & 8th grade Girls Basketball
- 6th, 7th & 8th grade Wrestling
- Supervision of participants will be arranged 2:25-3:30 p.m. by each school. Students may also go home after school is dismissed at 2:25 p.m. and return to practice by 3:30 p.m. if they have their own transportation
- Registration on MyPayment Plus (formerly FeePay) begins on Oct. 23
- Participation fee is $50
- Current physical must be on file with the school nurse
- Activity buses will be depart from each middle school Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, & Friday at 5:00 pm
- Cohort A students and Cohort C students with last name starting with A-K will participate on Mondays and Thursdays; Cohort B students and Cohort C students with last name starting with L-Z will participate on Tuesdays and Fridays. No sessions will be held on Wednesdays.
- Format will be “In-House” which will include skills development and intra-squad scrimmaging; there will be no traveling to other schools in or out of District 196 for competitions
- Players and coaches will adhere to COVID-19 health and safety protocol including but not limited to:
- Wearing masks will be required during non-strenuous activities such as stretching, meetings, on the sideline, and going to and from practice. Athletes will be allowed to take off masks while running or under strenuous exercise (in line with high school sports)
- Maintaining social distancing of minimum of 6 ft. (and no more than 15 min. of contact when distance is less than 6 ft.)
- Must use and handle own water bottle
- No locker room availability; must participate in clothes that are worn to school
- Playing/practicing in pods of 23 or less
- No congregating (i.e. team cheers, team huddles, “high-fives,” etc.)
- More details and information regarding health and safety protocol will be provided during registration and to the participants during the first days of the season