Desktop Schools Popup

Select a School

Speech Services

Speech-Language Pathologist: A specialist sometimes called a speech clinician, speech therapist, or speech pathologist with a role to assess, diagnose, treat and help prevent speech, language, social-communication, voice, fluency and other related disorders.

Speech pathologists usually have an M.A., M.S. or Ph.D. in their specialty, as well as a Certificate of Clinical Competence (CCC) earned by working under supervision. The state of MN requires a state license. What does a Speech Pathologist do: A speech-language pathologist works with a full range of communication disorders including the following:

  • Evaluate and diagnose speech, language, cognitive-communication and disorders.
  • Treat speech, language, cognitive-communication and social-communication deficits in individuals of all levels, utilizing an individualized plan with both long-term goals and short-term objectives established for each individual's needs.
  • Direct or in-direct service delivery models may be provided individually or within groups, depending upon the setting and individual's diagnosis and needs.

Speech-language pathologists often work as part of a "team", which may include special education teachers, audiologists, psychologists, social workers, occupational therapists, physical therapists and administrators.

In general the focus of typical school based speech or language therapy services include:

  • Speech: Articulation, Voice, Fluency
  • Language: Receptive (understanding of language), Expressive (expressing thoughts/ideas), Pragmatic (social skills including self-advocacy)